Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Play that funky music, white boy

Dennis! did this meme yesterday; it intrigued me, so I fired up my iPod to see what I'd get. Rules are here:

Step 1: Put your iPod/MP3 player or iTunes on random.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post it on your blog and let everyone guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Update the list with the song title when someone guesses correctly. (I will identify any unguessed songs by Friday.)
Step 5: Make your guesses by leaving a comment or sending me email. You have to identify both title and artist, and you're not allowed to Google any of these, either.

Away we go, kids:


1. You could be my silver spring – blue-green colors flashin’

- "Silver Springs," Fleetwood Mac [Benjie, Stupid Haiku Dude]

2. You took your coat off and stood in the rain

- "Foolish Games," Jewel [Dennis!]

3. This year’s love had better last

- "This Year's Love," David Gray [Stupid Haiku Dude]

4. I was bruised and battered, I couldn’t tell what I felt

- "Streets of Philadelphia," Bruce Springsteen [Dennis!]

5. My friend the communist holds meetings in his RV

- "Soak Up the Sun," Sheryl Crow [Beverly]

6. For whatever reason, I feel like I’ve been wantin’ you all my life

- "Boys (The Co-Ed Remix)," Britney Spears Feat. Pharrell Williams

7. Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane

- "Daniel," Elton John [Dennis!]

8. Here comes the cold, break out the winter clothes

- "St. Patrick's Day," John Mayer

9. Load up on guns, bring your friends

- "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Nirvana [The Husskateer]

10. Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life

- "Let's Go Crazy," Prince [Dennis!]

11. I wish I could tie you up in my shoes

- "Unpretty," TLC

12. The rope that’s wrapped around me is cutting through my skin

- "Angels Would Fall," Melissa Etheridge [Dennis!]

13. Come on, oh my star is fading

- "Amsterdam," Coldplay

14. You’ve got your mother and your brother and every other undercover telling you what to say

- "Walk Away," Kelly Clarkson [Beverly]

15. On and on, reckless abandon, something’s wrong

- "Reckless Abandon," Blink-182

16. Como puede ser verdad

-"La Isla Bonita," Madonna [Stupid Haiku Dude]

(*Congrats on that one, SHD, I wouldn't have known that...I had to Google the lyrics to find out what the hell she was saying.)

17. If it seems like I’ve been lost in Let’s Remember

- "Keeping the Faith," Billy Joel [Dennis!]

18. Every step of the way, we walk the line

- "Mississippi," Sheryl Crow (written by Bob Dylan)

19. I don’t expect my love affairs to last for long

- "Another Suitcase In Another Hall," - from Evita [Benjie]

20. Weren’t you the one who said that you don’t want me anymore?

- "Karma," Alicia Keys

10 comments:

Dennis! said...

I totally suck at this stuff, but here's a shot:

2. Jewel, "Foolish Games"

4. Bruce Springsteen, "Streets of Philadelphia"

7. Elton John, "Daniel"

10. Prince, "Let's Go Crazy"

17. Billy Joel, "Keeping the Faith"

I realize that if I didn't actually hear the songs I posted and write down the answers, I would never have gotten like 90% of mine.

Beverly said...

5. Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up The Sun"
14. Kelly Clarkson, "Walk Away"

Anonymous said...

I'm just going to post the two I know -

1. Fleetwood Mac, "Silver Spring"

19. Madonna, "Another Suitcase, Another Hall"

- Benjie

Stupid Haiku Dude said...

1. You could be my silver spring – blue-green colors flashin’
Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac

3. This year’s love had better last
This Year's Love - David Gray

16. Como puede ser verdad
La Isla Bonita - Madonna

I am immensely disappointed in myself for not knowing more.

Dennis! said...

Waitwaitwait... I also have:

12. "Angels Would Fall," Melissa Etheridge

Stupid Haiku Dude said...

Oh I just figured out another one. #9 (I think) is Kids with Guns by Gorillaz, yes? I haven't listened to the song so I'm not sure but that sounds right.

Drew said...

Sorry, SHD, that's not it. Think a little more flannel. :)

This is another one that I had to Google the lyrics for because I had no idea what the beginning of the song actually was...

The Husskateer said...

9. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Drew said...

Yay! That's my girl.

Gwen said...

Damn! I got here too late.

But then I stole your meme:
http://www.gwenworld.com/2006/06/fun-quiz-for-you-i-got-this-meme-from.html